WHAT IS DEET?
DEET is a yellowish, oily chemical used as the primary ingredient in non-organic bug spray. It is hazardous to the health of people and animals.
IS IT EFFECTIVE?
DEET is a highly effective insect repellent that works by covering your body in a scent that is repulsive to mosquitoes. But research has shown that mosquitoes worldwide are gradually gaining immunity to it.
IS IT SAFE?
The most serious concerns about DEET are its effects on the central nervous system. With overexposure to DEET, humans may experience memory loss, headaches, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath. DEET is known to cause neurological damage, and once it enters the bloodstream, it makes its way to the nervous system, where it is known to cause seizures and even deaths.
THINGS TO CONSIDER ABOUT DEET
- DEET is often sold in concentrations of 100% in consumer bug repellents, even though the CDC recommends only a 30-50% concentration to protect against insects.
- DEET was developed by the US military in 1944 and not authorized for civilian use until 1957.
- DEET is a powerful, harsh solvent that will break down and remove paint, fingernail polish, plastics & other synthetic substances.
- DEET is classified as a harmful substance by the EU.
- Canada banned products for human use that contain a DEET concentration higher than 30% in 2002.
- DEET can be absorbed through the skin if over-applied, especially when applied under clothing.
- DEET should not be applied on animals, pregnant women, and children
- under 6 months old.
Greenerways Organic Bug Spray is a safe, organic alternative to DEET-based bug repellents.